Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Jesus is my Groom, and I am the worst bride ever

If I were Jesus, I would have dumped me a long time ago.

I've been thinking about this recently. When I am in a relationship with someone, I try to be as invested in him as I can be. We talk throughout the day, in person or over the phone; we spend as much time together as we can and are intent on learning as much as we can about each other. We also do random things for each other to show our love.

This morning I was challenged by this thought: Jesus loves me. Jesus loves me, but what do I do about it? I  go to class, hang out with my friends, watch TV with my roommate, do homework, practice, and that's pretty much my life. Oh, and I go to church, too, and maybe I'll throw up a prayer every now and then, but how much time is that that I'm actually spending with the one Man who will always love me no matter what? About an hour and a half at most. 

Think about how that would translate into a relationship in this world - I go about my normal life, and he's always there. He's always with me, quietly waiting for me to love him back, but I pay no attention, I don't even realize he's there most of the time. Maybe I'll shoot him a text or two throughout the day, but I don't actually listen to anything he says, and then we'll spend an hour together once a week. Maybe I'll pay attention to him, but I'll probably be distracted by other things. This would not fly. 

That boy would dump me before I even knew that we were dating. But Jesus hasn't dumped me, and He's not going to. How incredible is this? Now, because of this, it's super easy to just go about life the same way I have been, but I can't do that. This Man died for me, and He is going to love me unconditionally forever. With tears of regret, I need to return and be fully invested in my relationship with Him. He is the only thing that matters in this world, and I don't know what I have been thinking to just throw Him to the side saying "I'm a little too busy for Your love right now, I'll be back later." I am not worthy of His love in the slightest, but I need to love Him back with all of my ability. 

Please pray for me as I try to leap back into my relationship with Him, and I pray that you will be touched by these thoughts as well.

1 comment: