Pages

Friday, September 20, 2013

Relationships

Relationships are hard.

Let's think about this - we're all humans, but none of us are the same. We have all had different experiences that have shaped us into who we are today. Because of these differences, what one person could blow off as nothing, could destroy another person's day. Communication is essential. Knowing a person and how words and actions effect them is crucial to a healthy relationship.


This is amusing, but unfortunately, it's not that easy, at least if you want a deep friendship. I'm slowly realizing that friendship takes effort and needs to be intentional. Especially during school, I find that I'm not always a good friend. I get busy and distracted by different things, and I don't always put all the effort into my relationships as I should. I grow distant from my friends, and before I know it, things are not how they used to be. 

Being an introvert, sometimes I get to wondering if it's really worth it. I mean really, it takes so much time to get to know someone, truly invest in them, and care for them. And after a long day of classes, practicing, etc., I'm ready to just go to my room and not talk to anybody. It's also a risk because they could choose to walk away from the relationship at any time, and you're left with the memories of how things used to be, which is the worst. However, on the other side of things, community is a wonderful thing, and having people to share everything with is invaluable. 

So after all this jumbled thinking, here's my final thought: being in relationships is hard and sometimes complicated, but without people to go through life with, what's the point? I guess I think the effort is worth it in the long run, you just have to choose the right people to completely invest in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment