Pages

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Do Not Fear

Tonight after work, some friends and I decided to go see "The Conjuring," a newly released horror movie. Now, I am not one who usually jumps at the chance to see a scary movie, especially recently, but I wanted to hang out with these people, so I decided to go. Of course, as soon as we sat down in the theater, all I could think was "Why am I here?" I was nervous, and I had good reason to be. 

"The Conjuring" is based on a true story of Ed and Lorraine Warren, who were "demonologists." Long, complicated story short, they try to help a family rid their newly purchased house of a very strong evil spirit. Now, when I first decided to go to this movie it was purely for entertainment sake, but the more I prepared for it, I realized that this could be a great opportunity for evangelism. I have been praying all summer that God would be involved in the relationships that are formed at work and that He would use me as a light to those around me. I have been trying to love them as best I can, but the topic of religion just hasn't come up, so I was excited that we might discuss it after the movie. 

I'll be the first to admit that I was hiding behind my hands about 25-30% of the time purely because of suspense (and some not so pleasant images), but after the movie makers worked their magic, I felt no more fear. I gladly explained to my friends that I have a God who is more powerful than the demons portrayed in this movie. I do not have to be afraid because I know that I belong to Him, and He will protect me. Their responses were pretty much that they didn't really believe in demons or anything, so they weren't really worried, but at least I got a seed in there. I'll be praying (and I hope you will, too) that the seed grows and more opportunities will come up for them to learn more about the Savior, Jesus Christ. 

The film ended with this quote from Ed Warren: "The devil exists. God exists. And for us, as people, our very destiny hinges on which we decide to follow." Please join me in praying for everyone who sees this movie, that they might grow curious and seek out this God who defeats such demons as portrayed in the movie.

"The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you." Romans 16:20

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your thoughts! And for you boldness to share what you believe. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete