Pages

Friday, August 30, 2013

Confrontation

I hate confrontation. It's the worst.

It stresses me out. I hate having to talk about my feelings. I guess I hate being vulnerable. 

This past week I decided to confront one of my dear friends because I was having some thoughts that were making me bitter, so instead of just letting the friendship fizzle out, I went out on a limb and said something. 

We talked about it the other night and it was super beneficial. It took me a few tries and some encouragement to get the words out (I think I was trying to guard my heart from potential pain), but once I spit it out, things were good. It was so good to discuss the issue, and hear what my friend had been thinking. 

It made me think about how many things grow, fester, and eventually explode just because we aren't willing to communicate. We never know exactly what another person is thinking, so before we jump to conclusions or get upset, we should just try to express our thoughts and feelings. This is so much easier said than done, but it would be so much better for our mental health. 

This situation with my friend could have easily gone sour and end up with us (or at least me) never speaking to the person again, but now that we discussed it, our friendship is stronger than ever, and I look forward to memories that will be made together. 

So yeah....communicate!

No comments:

Post a Comment